Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My Funny Trip to Warren County Administration

After two years of living in Iowa and having to rely on people or my own two smelly French feet to get me anywhere, I decided to get a driver's license. I need a driver's license because, even though the United States of America is the country of freedom and liberty where dreams come true, I cannot drive with my French license.

Anyway, I went to Warren County Administration, which is across the street from my campus, to gather some information and paperwork. The nice lady behind the counter told me that I need to pass all the tests, just like an American citizen would, even though I have been driving for 5 years now. 

So, the last time I had been there, I brought my passport, my license, and a proof of residency--in that case, a letter from my college saying that I was living on campus, and studying in Iowa. We can therefore, with a fair amount of certainty, assume that I am an Iowa resident. 

NO! Not for the administration of this country! Apparently, saying that you study and live on a campus located in Iowa is not a proof of residency. The lady told me that I could be studying here, living on campus, and still be a resident of Missouri. 

First of all, who would like to live in Missouri? And secondly, why would I study in a college in one state, but live in another? Do they think I love driving several hours every day to go to class? I can't drive, I don't have a LICENSE! 

But the funny part is that a bank statement or even a bill from a local doctor are proofs of residency! 

So, to be clear here, living and studying all year in a state does not make you a resident. However, going to see a doctor for a headache--potentially while you are simply passing through--is the best proof of all time!

Finally, when you've gone through all that paperwork, it only cost you 10 bucks, and one hour to get a license. And yet we wonder why people are bad drivers...

4 comments:

  1. Why Missouri ? Tu es allé chez le docteur la bas ? Signe:la maman inquiète !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Je pense que tu n'as pas tout compris. C'tait simplement un exemple. Je ne suis pas alle chez le docteur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maman Nad, you've got to go back to LA to practice again your english!Jim est allé braquer une banque au Missouri en vélo parce qu'il n'a pas de licence de pêche. C'est pourquoi il doit traverser la route en regardant d'abord à gauche puis à droite (oui pour ça ils sont comme chez nous!) accompagné d'une pom-pom girl afin que l'administration lui donne le droit de jouer au foot à Dragon, faute de quoi la jolie fille du guichet ne lui donnera pas de "datte"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. c'est pourtant simple l'anglais!


      Jim...c'est très très bon ça!

      Delete